Friday, December 4, 2009

Friday Confession


I've spent most of this week at a big trade show for my job and it got me to thinking about sewing trade shows. The only pure sewing event that I have ever been to is the Original Sewing & Quilt Expo, which comes to Tampa, Florida each year. I have been going regularly for the last 4 or 5 years, and I just love it! I love it all - the shopping, the classes, the shopping, the quilt and clothing exhibits, the shopping, the fashion shows, and the shopping! Oh, and let's not forget the shopping! ;)

I did go to a "fiber art" conference in 2008 (also in Tampa) - it was called Convergence. In fact, that's what got me started on weaving. Come to think of it, my one time attending that conference has probably cost me more in "hobby money" (what with the need to buy a loom!) than all of my trips to the Original Sewing Expo put together! ;)

So, how about you? Do you go to any of the big sewing events? Do you like them? Has anyone been to the annual Sewing and Stitchery Expo in Puyallup, WA? How about the ASG Annual Convention? Any other big show? If you go to these shows, what do you like most about them? Least? Do you think they are worth the money? Which show is your favorite? What would you tell someone considering attending a show for the first time?

PS - If anyone is planning to go to Tampa this coming February for the Original Sewing and Quilt Expo, let me know! I'd love to get together! :)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I've attended the American Sewing Expo in Novi, Michigan for the last 3 years. I also love the shopping, but have found it's hard to get a "purely educational" class that isn't a 60 minute hard-sell! This year I met Sandra Betzina, so that was pretty awesome!

CarlaF-in Atlanta said...

I attended my first American Sewing Expo in Atlanta, GA this year. I met other bloggers in
Georgia like Faye Faye's Sewing Adventures , Lisa H. Sew On and Sew On and Ebby J. Just Be Yourself and Sew. I would love to attend the Expo in Washington someday but I really want to take more hands on classes. I now know to sign up for the preconference classes early.

meredithp said...

I've been to several: DC Area, Philly Area, put on by multiple expo organizations. I like the opportunity to sample national speakers. As far as the "hard sell", I've found that it varies a by vendor/speaker. It's all part of the deal, I guess. I've met some of the most wonderful teachers! And in some cases, done more intensive work with them later. I have to admit, I feel like I've seen and done it all, so when I see a brochure nowadays, there aren't too many faces on the scene that I've not seen and don't need to see again. Been there, done that, luckily 'cause my financial ability to attend these things is severly curtailed currently. I'm toying with the idea of going to PR Weekend in Phila. or ASG Convention in Atlanta in 2010. But it's also hard plan what I'm doing tomorrow :-)

gwensews said...

I've been to American Sewing Expo in MI many times. I've also been to the big quilt show in Paducah KY. I haven't seen anything new and exciting though the last couple of times I've been to a sewing conference. Because of the economy, the vendors are fewer. It's like once you go, you've seen it all.

Lori said...

I have been to ASG Convention in Chicago and met some fellow bloggers. It was fun but I had hoped for a bigger vendor area. Someday I would like to go to Pullayup, it sounds fantastic.

Zep said...

I've been to Material World in Miami a couple of times. It was fun to see everything from all over the world. A lot of industrial things. From what I've read they aren't holding that convention any longer. And since I can't find their website to share I'm sure it's history. It's the only one I've ever attended. I need to go to Tampa huh :)
Enjoy your moments!

Anonymous said...

Nope and to tell you a secret, I have no desire to go. I'm a big anti-social negative Nelly here I tell you.

I have been to exactly one and won't go back. I don't quilt, I don't feel like being put down for owning a treadle, and so I stay home. While I am aware they aren't just for quilters most of the things are geared toward that and crafty sewing (I don't craft, I'm sorry), I get it for not being modern and constantly being told my machine sucks, they had one as a kid and hated it and it must be terrible having to be forced to sew on that. And in classes I get "you can't sew this on a treadle so save it when you buy a real machine" (as told to me by a relatively well known person in the sewing community. My response was "Really?")

I just stay home. I'm happier, and I'm sure they are too.

These things aren't for everyone, and I realized that early. I love the folks at Hancock's of Paducah, and I will break a leg to go...except when they have ANYTHING going on. I wouldn't discourage someone from going, I think you SHOULD go to see what they're like and if you enjoy it. I take my sewing seriously, and I know that, but I also work hard on learning techniques and skills.

Now, bring me a Project Runway convention and I'll be the first in line. I might even hurt you if Iman was going to show up. :D

Knigma said...

I have been a few times to the expo in Puyallup, WA. I LOVE going!!! It is worth every penny to me (I fly from AK). I have learned so much from the classes. My sewing has drastically improved as a result of going. The shopping is so much fun. I get to see so many things that we don't have available. I am so sad I cannot go this coming Feb. but I plan on being there in 2011. I already can't wait!

Becky said...

Never been-- I'm generally not a big convention person, and if I'm going to be surrounded by crowds, I'd rather be at a rock concert!