Sunday, November 23, 2008

Weekend Project: The End is in Sight

Magrat has adpoted trousers as practical wear for traveling by broomstick.
"I don't 'old with it," said Granny. "Everyone can see her legs."
"No they can't," said Nanny, "the reason being, the material is in the way."
"Yes, but they can see where her legs are," said Granny Weatherwax.

Witches Abroad, by Terry Pratchett

Trousers... The last official sewing project for me, Ana and Juana (although we will undoubtedly continue to sew together.) As you may remember, a couple of Sundays ago we drafted pants patterns for each of them, using their measurements and following instructions in an issue of Threads magazine.

This afternoon, Ana and I shopped for their "practice" fabrics. (Juana had to work and couldn't join us - but we picked up fabric for her too.) We'll assemble the practice pants next Sunday and figure out any pattern adjustments they want before we make the real pants. ;)

Of course, I tried this method with my own measurements first, to make sure I could do it, and to see how well it worked. My first two versions were noticeably too large on me; so for my third attempt, not surprisingly, I trimmed the pattern down too much and produced a pair that are a bit too tight. Sigh...


Here are front, side and back views of the unfinished (waistband & hem) pants. (I lost some motivation when they were too small.)





Before I make the pants again, I think I'll modify the pattern so that the pants aren't so high-waisted and aren't so narrow-legged. I also need to read up a bit on drafting darts - the ones I put in back aren't right somehow...

These pants aren't a total loss, because I am in the midst of an active weight loss program. So, they should fit somewhat better relatively soon. I've been using a software program, DietPower, that I learned about from Shannon's blog, and it is really helping me keep on track.


This morning I worked out our menu for Thanksgiving, made my grocery list and cooking plan, and even had time to create a menu in Spanish! (Hopefully it's accurate!)



I'm going to suspend my usual posts this week, in order to focus on the holiday. But I'll be back the following week. (Possibly with bells on!)

In the meantime, I am wishing you, your family and your friends the most wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and many, many things in your lives to be thankful for! :)

9 comments:

Joanne said...

I like the look of a narrow-legged trouser pant! I thought they looked nice. Have a wonderful holiday, Happy Thanksgiving!

Alviana said...

Happy Thanksgiving Gwen!

Thanx for helping me with the BWOF subscription.

have fun!

Anonymous said...

I think you are doing wonderfully on your pants pattern. I'm nowhere near ready to tackle pants yet! It is so good of you to teach your friends. I know they will bless you for it! Have a blessed Thanksgiving week, and I look forward to seeing your blog posts after the holiday!

AmeliaSews said...

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving, Gwen! I think it's great that you are willing to tackle teaching something that you are still working on yourself. Sometimes it is easy to forget that we have something to contribute before we have mastered it for ourselves.

mamafitz said...

i'm guessing the second item on the menu is stuffing (what is pasa?). are you having deviled eggs? (i can't figure out what stuffed eggs would be).

you can call pie 'pay' (pronounced pretty similar to the way we say pie). that's how it usually is on menus. pastel usually refers to cake.

Becky said...

Ah, pants. Good to see I'm not the only one who spent all weekend on such a garment...

Happy Thanksgiving!

And also, love the Pratchett quote. :D

Anonymous said...

I've tagged you for a fun little Meme. When you have time, visit my blog and see if it is something you'd like to do. Have a blessed Thanksgiving week!

Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry dear Gwen! I didn't realize you had already done this particular Meme! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!! Hope you have some time to do a little sewing!

Christine said...

I think the pants look great. And you're doing so good on the weight loss. It shows! Keep it up!