Wednesday, November 19, 2008

In the Queue Wednesday


Do you remember Amelia Bedelia - the maid who took everything literally? She would "dust the furniture" by covering it with the dusting powder she found in the bathroom and "dress the chicken" in baby clothes...
Hence, my illustration, because this week's "in the queue" project is making next week's Thanksgiving dinner - a project that only Amelia Bedelia would see as related to sewing! ;)
We've invited Ana, Juana, David and Abel to join us and experience a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner. Ana offered to bring a dish and I accepted - but she quickly generated ideas for half a dozen Mexican dishes to bring and so finally - seeing our traditional dinner disappearing - I proposed an alternative:
They'll join us for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner next week, and we'll enjoy a traditional Mexican dinner at Ana's house some night later in this holiday season.
I bought a DVD of A Christmas Story that has Spanish dubbing for the evening's entertainment. We think it's funny and perfect for the holiday season - hopefully the humor will translate!
Okay, next time I'll go back to actual sewing projects, I promise! In the meantime, what are your plans for Thanksgiving? I hope you are looking forward to it!

8 comments:

Meg said...

Good luck with your dinner. My DH insists on cooking ours, though I'll make side dishes and desserts. And I love "A Christmas Story"!

Unknown said...

OOh! Have fun... I read Amelia Bedilia all the time when I was younger, and loved it... hmm... I need to track those down for my favorite little girls...

mamafitz said...

i don't think i've ever told you, but my father was from mexico, and even though we'd have a traditional american thanksgiving meal (turkey, potatoes, pumpkin pie, etc), we ALWAYS had arroz, frijoles, y tortillas as well. in fact, we pretty much had those at every meal, and tamales at christmas.

i saw A Christmas Story for the first time ever a few years ago (sometimes it's strange to have grown up in a multi-national household -- there are things i don't know the english words for, traditions i am clueless about, stuff like that).

Christine said...

Wow that sounds like a lot of fun! Have a great time! Hopefully I'll be at my parent's house for Thanksgiving, my first Thanksgiving with them in 7 years.

Joanne said...

My kids loved Amelia Bedelia, I'd forgotten all about her! And now we all love A Christmas Story. I think your guests will, too, it's such a holiday classic. We're having Thanksgiving dinner at home, turkey and all the trimmings!

Anonymous said...

Good evening, dear Gwen! I have nominated you for the Bookworm Award! When you have time, stop by my blog and pick up your award (and I hope you will have time to answer the question that accompanies the award). Have a blessed evening!

Anonymous said...

If you don't have time to do the award, don't worry about it. But it's always fun to see what other people answer. And pass it along to five other bloggers if you want to. Have a wonderful day!!

Anonymous said...

How sweet of you to have them over for dinner! I bet they'll love it!
-Natalie

p.s. I love those books!