Thursday, November 20, 2008

Talk Back Thursday


Thank you so much to Wendy, Amelia, Lindsay T, Emily, Claire, Myrosia, Summerset, Miss Linda, Vicki and Alviana for "talking back" to my confession last Friday! I confessed that I haven't used an international pattern magazine before, and am just now trying my first project from Patrones.

Wow! These pattern magazines are well-known, well-used and well-loved! The ones that were specifically mentioned included:

As with everything in life, there are pros and cons.

The pros: Reliable fit, beautiful details and well-drafted patterns.

The cons: Minimal and sometimes confusing directions, no assembly illustrations, tracing can be daunting.

Best of all - the advice:

  • Think everything through carefully first; make sure you can visualize all the steps.
  • Have a good sewing reference book available.
  • Feel free to go to the blogging sewing community for help.

Guess what - I've decided to take the plunge and asked for a subscription to BWOF for Christmas! I'm really excited! :)

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to share your experiences and your advice! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gwen, I applaud you for jumping into BWOF. I'm very very far from attempting anything like that--I won't even attempt an advance pattern from one of the Big 4. BUT, watching your progress encourages me to continue to develop more skills. Maybe one of these days I will take the plunge and jump into BWOF myself. I am really looking forward to watching your journey. I hope you will give your impressions of BWOF when you start receiving the magazines. I haven't even seen them.

Vicki said...

Good for you! I love BWOF and have not had a wadder yet (touch wood).

Alviana said...

great gwen! u'll gonna love it :)

I really love BWOF. I really2 wish i could subscribe it too but it's still unavailable here in my country (Malaysia) *sigh*.

the last time i bought was an used outdated BWOF from an ebay seller.

I REALLY WANT to make the subscription. Any suggestion to help me? -_-

SunnyQ said...

Alviana~ I have been in touch with a re-seller of Burda magazines for the US. While she may not be the vendor for you, she may be able to put you in touch with the vendor in your area. Email me and I'll send you her contact info: seitelman@gmail.com

Happy Sewing!
-Susan