Thursday, July 31, 2008

Talk Back Thursday


Thank you so much to Susan, Becky, Claire and Summerset for "talking back" to my Friday Confession last week! I talked about factors that make me procrastinate working on a sewing project - not really liking a particular piece of fabric is a big one for me.
This confession elicited a lot of insightful comments. Apparently either end of the difficulty continuum can lead to procrastination - both those projects that are too easy or boring AND those projects that involve a new, confusing technique are sometimes pushed to the back burner. A couple of people also called out the extra step of making a muslin as something that they tended to procrastinate.
On the motivating side, some mentioned that having a deadline was often the "final straw" that spurred them to work on and finish a project.
Finally, in line with my original confession, there is that "can't really define it but know it when we experience it" factor: inspiration. Some projects - whether it be the pattern, fabric, technique or combination - simply catch hold of us, get under our skins and won't let go until we make them happen. Other projects - for whatever reason - just don't have it...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I find one way to kill the procrastination bug is to tackle a project in REALLY small bites. For example: "Today I will choose the buttons" then, "Tomorrow I will do test buttonholes on a fabric scrap to get the right size." then "The day after that, I will mark and make the buttonholes." Then, sewing on the buttons just gets your project finished, and you don't have to push yourself to do it.

Becky said...

Just wanted to say that your picture cracks me up!

Vicki said...

I lol (literally) when I read the caption to the picture. But I think I win with procrastination - I am still putting off a comment to your last post.......