Thursday, May 6, 2010

Talk Back Thursday

Thank you so much to Elaina, Gwen, Ivalyn, Cole's Corner, Lady Jenn, Julie, Lisa Laree, Annonymous, Mamafitz, Faye, Patsijean and Tamara, for talking back to my confession last week. I asked what method people use to clip their curves - those little triangles or opposing diagonal slashes.

The Reader's Digest Condensed Version of the answer: Neither!

By far and away the most popular method of bringing curves under control is to trim them with pinking shears, with 8 out of 12 people using this approach! I never even considered this - possibly because I don't own a pair of pinking shears.

I guess a pair will have to go on my birthday wish list - although, I was a bit disappointed when I did a google image search and realized that "pinking shears" aren't actually pink...

Just kidding!

Other alternatives included steaming them "into submission" (I'm quoting both Elaina and Julie) and trimming them closely (Lady Jenn, for example, trims to about 1/8th of an inch).

As for the 2 methods that I had mentioned, nobody really argued strongly for either the triangles or the opposing diagonal slashes method. It sounds like people are pretty content to use "whichever" if (and only if) something extra is really needed.

The strongest emotions were elicited over accidentally cutting into your stitches and trying to press open a tiny, clipped seam! I can SO relate! ;)

Thanks again, everyone! As always, you guys rock! :)

4 comments:

Zep said...

Oh man, I got so busy last week I forgot to answer the question.... (walking away in shame) :)
Tomorrow for sure!

Julia said...

i didn't get in on this discussion either. Too much going on at our house last week. I'm back, though, and I'm looking forward to this week's discussion.

wendy said...

I never thought of using pinking shears... I'm going to have to give that a twirl!

Anonymous said...

My pinking shears have pink handles... is that close enough? I don't recommend mine though - they are Fiskars, and I had to loosen the screw to get them to stop hurting my hands. I want a pair of the spring action ones, because they look like they would be easy to use!