Friday, May 7, 2010

Friday Confession

So, I've never used a croquis - you know, one of those generic human forms that you are supposed to use when you sketch your garment design ideas. Truthfully, I don't really have any drawing ability at all - I really envy people who can take a pencil and a blank piece of paper and bring an idea to life with a quick sketch...

How about you? Have you ever used, or do you regularly use, the croquis? Any tips on using them? Any alternatives? If you have examples that we could look at, I'll include links to your pictures in my "Talk Back Thursday" post. Thanks! :)

Image from Threads website (downloadable here).

7 comments:

Lori said...

I have never used one either, I can't draw at all! Wish I could, so I look at RTW sites for inspiration and design ideas.

Lisa Laree said...

I've tried. Mostly for costuming...but I have NO drawing ability AT ALL.

The trick is to trace the line drawings off on you croquis, but I haven't yet figured out how to do that when the croquis is a different size than the line drawing.

I'm mystified when I read things like, '...after drawing it on her croquis, she saw she would have to shorten the back waist' (a paraphrase of something that stuck in my mind from one of the fitting books that recommends croquis). How on earth could someone tell that from sketching on the croquis???

Webfrau said...

I've never heard of the term croquis at all. Then I don't generally sketch designs either. :)

Faye Lewis said...

I've used one only once. I can't draw either - boo hoo!

marysews said...

I have never used one. If I ever did use one, it would probably help me design garments better suited to my body shape.

Julia said...

I sometimes draw sketches of what I'm planning to make, but rarely do I ever make whatever it is in the same way that I draw it. I love to draw. I had not heard the term croquis until I started blogging.

CarlaF-in Atlanta said...

I've never used one and not really interested in using one at this point.

CarlaF-in Atlanta