Monday, March 12, 2012

Monday Morning Quarterback

The power of little things to give instruction and happiness should be the first lesson in life, and it should be inculcated deeply.  
~ Russell H. Conwell

I found the energy and spirit to do some sewing this weekend.  I stuck with something simple and joyful - pinafores for the daughters of my friends...  

Adalyn - the daughter of a big football fan...


The pinafore pattern comes from the One Yard Wonders book.  


Evie, the daughter of a Steeler's fan!  ;)


The pinafore is open in the back, except for the ribbon tie, and is meant to be worn over other clothes.  


And Lena, the daughter of a woman who loves penguins!  


Note that the pinafores are size 2T, and the girls are all younger than 8 months old, so you might say I'm jumping the gun a bit...  ;)


Given that the pattern is so simple, I tried to pay special attention to the details - french seams, 3 rows of basting stitches to gather the skirt, and careful stitching-in-the-ditch to attach the skirt to the bodice.  

It was peaceful and, as some of you have suggested, I found some comfort in immersing myself in the simple, well-known steps.  Thank you again for all the kind words and thoughts during these last difficult weeks.  

I hope you had a wonderful sewing weekend!  

3 comments:

gwensews said...

Those are so sweet. I'm sure it was good for you to busy your mind.

mrsmole said...

I'll bet you were smiling the whole time while planning and cutting and sewing!!! Kids clothes go so fast and look so cheerful with very little fitting issues. Good job and great way to spend the weekend!

Mary said...

These are darling! I sew for my granddaughters and this is the type of pattern I really love - simple yet with so much room to express myself.