Friday, October 28, 2011

Friday Confession




I was caught by surprise, recently, by a "look how far I've come!" moment with my sewing. I was making a dress for a young friend and was able to adjust my method of construction to adapt to the fact that I wasn't going to line it.



And suddenly I remembered an experience that I had early in my sewing, when I treated each set of pattern instructions as if they had been carved on Stone Tablets by a Divine Hand and couldn't even imagine trying to do anything different on my own... A woman at the fabric cutting table at my local Walmart kept trying to convince me that I could make a particular dress pattern without lining it and I grew frustrated when she wouldn't accept the fact that - maybe SHE could make it without lining it, but I couldn't.



And now I can. I'm not sure when it happened. I don't remember any particular moment - no ceremony, no sky opening up with trumpeting angels, nothing... It just kind of sneaked up on me. But I used to be in the group that couldn't, and now, somehow, I'm in the group that can.



So, how about you? Have you had any moments like this? Times when you suddenly realized - Hey! I really have learned a lot! I really am better at sewing than I used to be! I'd love to hear your stories! :)

5 comments:

Marie said...

I have had a few moments this year when I have realised the extent of my sewing journey.

When reflecting on the garment, maybe when writing a blog post or showing the item off to online sewing buddies, I have realised that I find it much easier to remember all the techniques and tips that I have learnt along the way. Things fall into place when I am sewing. I realise I can adapt techniques to suit different areas. And if I get stuck, I know to look before the right technique before commencing, rather than just making it up along the way.

The main thing I realise it that doing things the right way, even if it is extra steps and takes more time, always leads to a better result. Yes, uou can try to tell me but I just have to learn it myself.

gwensews said...

My "aha" moment was when I realized that I can look at a garment and know how it's constructed. Also, looking at a garment and knowing where to make design lines on existing patterns to make a copy. One thing about sewing-you never, ever quit learning.

Anonymous said...

I have been having that same realization process over the last few months. Not much scares me and I can make things without instructions or just using them for reference. I wouldn't have thought myself capable of this last year but here I am. It is a lovely feeling isn't it? I think blog reading has been a help in getting to this point.

Linda T

Anonymous said...

This might be a silly aha moment, but early on in my sewing I *hated* having to rip out seams. So much so that it would often stall me on finishing a project if I messed up such that I had to rip out more than a few stitches.

However, on my last project I had to rip out tiny little black stitches on black fabric, more than a couple of times, and I actually didn't mind so much. Well, I still hated it, but I was able to battle through and not get stalled.

Hopefully, with each project it'll get better and better and just become another part of the process.

Christine said...

Every year I make halloween costumes for my nieces. This year their father (my brother-in-law), who is usually not particularly complimentary, gave me a pretty awesome compliment:
He told me he was so impressed by the detail that he checked them a couple of times for tags that would indicate they were store bought.

If I can impress him, my skills have vastly improved! :)