It seems like forever since I've had a chance to do some sewing, but just before our vacation trip I managed to sew up this dress.
I was particularly looking forward to making the pockets, as this is a style that I've never made before. I photographed the main steps. First, I stitched the pocket front to the front of the skirt, right sides together, along the curved side seam.
This piece gets folded back and pressed.
Next, the pocket back is attached to the pocket front along the long, curved inside seam.
Afterward, the pocket can be opened out like this:
Here you see it tucked in the way it will be when the dress is complete. Notice that the skirt now has a straight side seam, to be connected to the back skirt.
There was only one step that I had a hard time visualizing - the directions had me open out the pocket and sew a short seam, starting mid-way along the top edge and going downwards for a couple of inches.
I think that seam closed up the top of the pocket so that it doesn't start its opening at the waist, but rather a bit below the waist and into the skirt.
The pockets came out great and I love them! I think I'll add this style pockets to other skirts and dresses in the future. :)
Now for the dress itself:
I do like it and I have gotten more compliments in this dress than I usually get. But, in fact, the fit isn't very good. It gaps under my arms (sorry for the stubbly pit shot):
And the bodice does not fit well at all - it is too short and doesn't fit over "the girls" and pulls outrageously from the side.
That is pretty disappointing. But, I like this pattern a lot. And I think that, if it fit well, it would be a style that worked for my body. So I am going to officially declare this pattern a "learn to fit" project and I am going to figure out how to adjust it to get a good fit. And that will be the gift that this problem has for me in its hands. :)